I am not going to tell you that fig tree sap burns your skin. However, it does cause a burning sensation when it comes into contact with your skin and in higher concentrations. However, this will only occur in the area of contact and not necessarily immediately after. It is possible that you might experience a different reaction to the sap itself if you are allergic to figs or other substances found in it.
In addition to ammonia (NH3), uric acid (C5H4N4O3) and lactic acid (CH(OH)CO2H), the sap of fig trees contains several other chemicals such as oxalic acid (C2H2O4). As far as human skin irritation is concerned, these chemicals are in very small quantities in comparison with ordinary household cleaning products, which are known to cause irritation.
Generally, sap consists of a large amount of water, which is the same type of water that makes up 70% of your body. The remaining 30% of sap consists of sugars, organic acids, and proteins, which are the main components of cell sap.
On your skin, when fig tree sap dries, it hardens and releases the chemicals found there. In order to dilute the caustic components of the sap, the other chemicals draw moisture in from the surrounding areas so as to irritate the soft outer surface of your skin. It is for this reason that you usually feel a burning sensation when you are in contact with the sap because it is so caustic.
There have been studies that suggest that ammonia can also stimulate the central nervous system, so if you are highly sensitive to ammonia, this could be the cause of your skin irritation, since ammonia is a highly stimulant. The sap of the fig tree can trigger allergic reactions in people who have diabetes or compromised immune systems. These symptoms include itching, swelling, hoarseness, and coughing as a result of contact with the sap.
It is also possible that skin irritation may have been caused by exposure to other chemicals in nature, including vinegar or foods that contain food coloring. It is also possible that a dry skin condition, such as psoriasis or eczema, might contribute to this condition as well.
There are also a number of food products that are prepared with sap from fig trees, such as spreads and frozen desserts. A number of frozen yogurts and ice creams have been added with this ingredient. The possibility that this ingredient is present in these products is very likely, but it is impossible to tell for sure unless you actually eat them. When you purchase something in the store, you have no way of testing it out and even knowing if it is intended to be consumed or not.
Why do you get itchy when you are near fig trees?
If the sap from fig trees comes into contact with your skin, it can cause itching as fig tree sap contains chemicals that may irritate your skin if it is applied too frequently.
It is my pleasure to share this article with you, and I hope you have found it helpful.
If you have sap burns, what do you do to treat them?
Whenever my skin gets a sap burn, the first thing I do is wash it off with soap and cold water.